General Commercial Litigation
- All Courts in the State of Florida
- US District Court – Southern District of Florida
- US District Court – Middle District of Florida
- United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D., Florida State University,
Graduated with Honors 1992;
- Inter-University Center Dubrovnik,
University of Zagreb & University of Serbia,
Fellowship to International Law Program – 1989
- B.A., University of Florida,
Graduated with Honors 1986
- University of Cambridge
(St. Catherine’s College),
Honors Program – 1984
Inspired by Perry Mason, Karen announced to her family at age 2 that she would become an attorney – and there was never a “plan B”.
A native Floridian, Karen founded the Law Offices of Karen Lowell in 1992, now known as the Lowell Law Firm, P.A., a Boutique Law Firm providing highly customized legal services to individuals and small business owners.
Karen advises clients in a broad range of commercial, business and immigration matters throughout the United States and in Hong Kong and China. For more than 20 years, Karen served as in-house counsel to a small, innovative California corporation, as well as to an international business executive, handling day-to-day corporate and legal business matters. Karen prides herself on customized legal services to individuals and business owners, and accessibility to her clients.
When she isn’t practicing law, Karen loves to spend time with her partner, family, son, grandson and friends, and loves to kayak and SCUBA. She is an adventurer that loves the ocean, and loves to hike, dive, climb mountains, swim with whale sharks and travel the world. Karen is a skilled fighter both in and out of the courtroom, having earned a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
In 1982, Karen was awarded a Key to the City of Fort Lauderdale by Mayor Virginia Young. The Greater Fort Lauderdale area has remained her home, and is where she continues to practice law.
Practice areas include:
- Business Law – Contracts, Non-Compete Agreements, Partnership Agreements, Formation and Dissolution of Companies, Fraud, Misrepresentation, Breach of Corporate Duties, Residential and Commercial Leases, Landlord/Tenant Disputes, Evictions
- Intellectual Property – Trade Secrets, Trademarks and Patent Infringement Litigation
- General and Complex Commercial Litigation
- Immigration – Business Visas, Citizenship and Naturalization
- Regulatory Law – Compliance with US DHS, DOT, EPA and OSHA regulations
- Successful Consent Final Judgment for $750,000 in Complex Commercial Action involving Breach of Contract, Fraud in the Inducement, Breach of Fiduciary Duty – Ft Lauderdale Circuit Court
- Successfully Settled Complex, International Corporate Litigation in NY Federal Court on Behalf of International Clients in China & Hong Kong
- Successful Unanimous Verdict in 2 week California State Court Jury Trial for Intellectual Property /Trade Secret / License Agreement Action
- Awarded Seven Figure Summary Judgment in California Federal Court – Intellectual Property / Trade Secret /Contract Action
- Successfully Upheld Large Verdict Summary Judgment Before US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Awarded Large Judgment in Southern California State Court Intellectual Property /Trade Secret / License Agreement Action
- Defeated a Patent Application Where Patent Had Already Issued – California Federal Court Action
- Successfully Settled Case in Favor of 28 Year Veteran Teacher & Administrator following a several week Administrative Trial Against the Miami Dade County School Board